Hello and welcome to my Harry Potter timeline! It's not the first or most beautiful one out there, but I hope that it will be the most complete. I have painstakingly gone over each book to lay down events of note, and now present them for reference and your browsing pleasure.
- Harry attends a 500th deathday party for Nearly-Headless Nick in book 2. The cake at the party gives the day of death as October 31, 1492. So book 2 actually begins in 1992, and Harry starts at Hogwarts the previous year. Celebrating his 11th birthday then marks his year of birth as 1980.
- Certain important recurring events and holidays always fall on the same dates, giving me a point of reference for those parts of the book. These dates are:
- Harry's birthday - July 31
- First day of Hogwarts - September 1
- Halloween - October 31
- Christmas - December 25
- Hogwarts covers the equivalent of junior through high schools. Students begin when they are 11 and leave seven years later around the age of 18. This allows us to calculate the ages of students older or younger than Harry.
At some point I will actually note down which book each event on the timeline is from, and explain how I got said date. For now I've concentrated on getting everything down first. Enjoy.